2016: Dalwhinnie to Crianlarich

Returning to Dalwhinnie after nearly 3 years, I was in luck with a spell of mostly fine weather.

12th May 2016

I started part 2 of my watershed walk 2 days ago, with another week to go. The sun has been shining, the ground mostly dry, with just a bit of wind. Good progress so far, across Ben Alder and on to the loop round Rannoch Moor. The only mishap was slipping on some squelchy ground below a melting patch of snow and landing on one of my trekking poles and bending it… Now heading towards Glencoe.

14th May 2016

The cloud descended yesterday, so it was a misty start to the horseshoe of Black Mount Munros. In the afternoon it lifted, however, so the last two provided amazing views in all directions.

I crossed the West Highland Way for the first time on Thursday, and then crossed it for a second time 24 hours later, only a few miles south…

Dropped back down to Rannoch Moor and now set for most of today crossing back east, before higher summits tomorrow. Today's looking fine, though cold.

16th May 2016

I'm in sight of Tyndrum now, just resting on a very steep downhill from Beinn Odhar towards the noisy road, the WHW and the railway line. Today's progress has been slow but steady, with a lot of ascent and descent. The ground's dry, however.

I've been very lucky with the weather so far; mostly it's been fine, if breezy and a bit cold. Tomorrow's looking like the first rainy day, so I'm not expecting to see much from Ben Lui et al.

Managed to bag three bonus Munros yesterday, since I had time to spare.

Due to travel back home on Thursday, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get to Crianlarich by then. 10km as the crow flies, or 30km as the watershed wiggles…

19th May 2016

I reached Crianlarich yesterday evening, and, slightly damp, have been relaxing at the youth hostel.

After a week of mainly sunshine, Tuesday rained from 13:30 until 04:00 the next morning - without interruption, I think, although I slept through some of it. I camped quite high, at the col between Ben Lui and Ben Oss, immersed in the fog. Wednesday was somewhat better, but still misty above 600m, but the ground was sodden by then - so my feet were too.

Still, a successful 9 days hike. Another 150km done, a few bonus summits climbed, some lovely views had, and my knees held up (though not without a few minor complaints).